Friday, July 2, 2010

more "Play Me I'm Yours"

I returned to Tribeca Park a few more times after last weeks post.. I had it in my head that I wanted to 'do' one of the piano's. It was the honey blond wood one, it has lots of discolorations and smudges and not much artwork on it at all. Another artist had painted where the sheet music goes a light blue.. and then drew over that.. but never finished. I left that portion of the piano as well as some of the original wood above the foot pedals.

For the base color on the piano, I am using some of the paint left over from my living room. I'll then use the surrounding architectural and floral elements in the park and create a narrative across and on all sides of the piano.

Luke Jerram, the artist behind the street piano project, had this to say about the piano installation here in NYC:
I’m so excited to see what will happen. The pianos are a blank canvas for everyone’s creativity so it’ll be interesting to see just how much talent is out there. I’ve always had the feeling that this artwork was meant to be presented here. When the pianos arrive on the steet they’ll belong to the people of this great city. Enjoy!


After reading Luke's intent, here is the beginning of my piano canvas. A nice clean coat of Benjamin Moore orange. I've been at the park since 6pm... I'll return in the morning and apply the pattern.


to be continued...

No comments: