Saturday, June 26, 2010

Play Me, I'm Yours

Earlier this evening as I ran along the Hudson river, I noticed a nice line up of handsome bears for tonight's Muscle Bear Cruise on the "Sea Tea", Now that would have been fun to go to. But since tomorrows night out will be more than enough for me, I thought I'd do a quiet evening close by.

Having been so intrigued by this whole piano in the park thing I saw early this afternoon, I walked back up to Tribeca Park and sat and listened to people play the piano. Several people stopped by to play (and well, I might add), and chat, and listen, have a smoke.. all the while, it's a very warm and humid evening,, the Empire State building aglow in lavender far in the distance.. how nice is this? How very New York.

















My post earlier in the day:
















New York City is placing pianos in 60 parks and other public spaces throughout the city and inviting anyone to decorate and play them.


The two-week project, dubbed “Play Me, I'm Yours,” kicks off June 21 with a one-day music festival to feature 1,000 free performances citywide. Artists, volunteers and any member of the public may decorate the street pianos and will be encouraged to play them, NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s office said in a news release.

I've seen the news coverage of these piano's in the parks. So, I'm walking home today and there were two piano's right here in Tribeca Park, that little triangular park at W. Broadway, Walker st. and 6th Ave.. just below Canal Street. I see one of the piano's is empty, I sits me down and remembered a childhood nursery song "Hello, is this Aunt Sarah?" I'll blame my bad playing on that broken lower "C" key.

"Play Me, I'm Yours" is the program, dial 311 or go to NYStreetPianos to find a piano near you.

No comments: